Thursday, October 1, 2009

I think it’s time for an update! :)

So Nick and I had the opportunity to go to Cincinnati Christian University (CCU) on Sept 17-20 for a small groups conference. Yes, we drove…12 hrs! (actually we rode, we didn't have to drive, thank the Lord!) We passed Kentucky Christian College which brought back many fond memories of Summer in the Son!

The other folks that went with us included Tisons, Larry Lamb, Jennice Reimert, Jessica Winkley, and the Nolands (Jen & Joellen’s parents). It was a great opportunity to get to know some people we might not normally spend much time with. We also had the chance to visit with Laura Jones! The conference was great too – I felt like a sponge – just soaking up all kinds of information about small groups. I went to one session about mentoring women. It got me fired up to start a mentoring program at Northside.

And of course, while we were in Cincinnati, we ate at Skyline Chili twice and Graeters Ice Cream three times. We also went to a renowned ribs joint called Montgomery Inn – it was right on the Kentucky/Ohio state line which is divided by the Ohio river. We ate good while we were there and it was all sooo delicious!! Thankfully I didn’t gain 10 lbs… maybe just 1 lb. I think that’s pretty good considering we had ice cream late every night!

When we returned Sunday night, we came home to a trail of ants in the kitchen. Their trail leaded to the dishwasher which we did not run before we left. I whipped out the Hot Shot and killed all the ants. I tell you, it is always something; however, it is surely nice to call it home though!

This past weekend we have been working diligently in the yard to get some grass to grow! Nick killed all the weeds in the yard, then raked all the dead stuff up. We ordered 4 yards of biocompost (smelly stuff that is supposed to make the grass grow) to put in the yard and then seeded. Nick followed up the seeding with another round of compost and watering. The weather has been so nice this past week, it hasn’t been too bad working in the yard. I’m starting from scratch on my flower beds, too. I pulled up all the dead stuff and will be getting some dirt to plant some nice flowers maybe next weekend. Gosh – how things change as we get older – who would have ever thought I would voluntarily be pulling weeds and planting flower beds?!?!!?

The most exciting news of all is that Montebello is this weekend! We are going tomorrow morning. I can't wait!! :)

Here are some pics from the trip to Cincinnati and one of Montebello...

Nick and I with Laura! "yay"! :)


one of the first signs I saw when we first drove into Cincinnati!


delicious ribs at Montgomery Inn!


GRAETER'S ICE CREAM!


one of my most favorite pictures. its actually framed and hanging on the wall in the living room now!

No comments: